It Was a Day... Late October Winter Poem + Images

 



It was a day,

a day of watching and hearing,

of swift farewells and wrenched partings,

of sweat and snow

hard work and memories.


I left my (slightly too) toasty spot

at the computer, near the woodstove, 

and headed out for shovelling.

More sweating, even in the chill air,

clearing fresh snow, and expanding the area cleared

from previous snowfalls.


snow, october, Central Alberta, cohanmagazine

The sky was a mix of cloud and blue, 

occasional patches of sunshine 

highlighting white snow, dark trees, deep shadows.

I'd hurry for the camera, only to miss the sun.


spruce trees, snow, october, Central Alberta, cohanmagazine


Some of the neighbours' cattle, 

mostly cows with their calves,

summer on my uncle's land behind the acreage.

Since it snowed and turned cold, 

they've been calling out, gathering by the gate.

Take us home, they'd say, remembering other winters,

Take us home and give us hay, 

we don't like pushing our noses in the snow for food.


cows, snow, october, Central Alberta, cohanmagazine

Yesterday they got their wish, 

but I wonder if they'd remembered

that the day of return was also 

the day their calves were taken?

The trailers and trucks rattled 

while the air filled with the distressed calls

of calves separated and mothers bereft.


Overhead, fair weather fowl were heading south, 

multiple callers keeping them in line.

Occasionally, a quieter group passed, 

better discipline or a different species? 

They were flying high, hoping to reach drier ground.

I wished them snow bare fields 

and rich gleaning and grazing.

They might have to fly far to find it.


spruce trees, snow, october, Central Alberta, cohanmagazine

After a couple of hours shovelling, 

time for woodcutting, not quite such warm work.

I added another layer and sipped coffee from my thermos.

I add some sugar for outdoors, 

so the taste is a little different than my usual, 

reminds me of the coffee Grandma would send out

to the fields in mason jars. 

As a kid, carrying out lunch, I'd be given a little.


Spruce, Mountain Ash, Lilac,  snow, october, Central Alberta, cohanmagazine

As I wrapped up, checked mail and tended to the cats.

the pre-sunset turned the sky blue and gold,

but dark clouds muted the colour 

before I could get a shot. 

It's okay, beauty unrecorded is still felt.


spruce, sunset, snow, october, Central Alberta, cohanmagazine

sunset, snow, october, Central Alberta, cohanmagazine

Snow began to fall again, lightly.

It was a day, just another day.


As always, I'd like to hear from you-- I’d love to hear from you- You can find me on 

If you are able and would  like to support me, I have a Ko-fi page;  support helps me keep working-more research, more writing, more art!

Comments