Garden Surprises: Adventures in Seed Growing and Planting Out


Erysimum, Wallflower, rock garden, seed grown

A few years ago, I sowed seed of a couple of species of small Erysimum / Wallflowers -- plants in the Mustard family, with some larger, showy relatives popular in gardens. (The name Wallflower refers to the habit of some species of growing in stone walls, think Britain). I planted out a number of seedlings in several spots, but, as usual, had fewer tags than seedlings-- the expectation is that as the plants grow, I can refer to those with tags to id those without. The problem with that strategy is that not all seedlings survive, and not necessarily those with tags-- you can see where that might lead to confusion...

In this case, I remembered planting the Erysimums in a particular bed in which none survived, and I thought that was that. A couple of years later, in a very different bed far removed from that spot, a little clump which I'd been thinking was one of the Dianthus or Silenes I'd planted, flowered for the first time, and was, in fact, a mustardy thing I had no memory of planting there. I eventually realised it must be one of those Erysimums. Here again we see the value of planting multiple seedlings in multiple spots--which will survive and where is not always readily knowable! Unfortunately, that plant has been susceptible to flea beetles in spring, as many Brassicaceae are here, which damage flowers and foliage. This year I was able to reduce the impact by hosing off the insects a couple of times, and a rainy spring may have helped, so it was able to make a bit of a show, set off by a luckily located self sown Viola elegantula, though you can still see some of the beetles in the photo!

Erysimum, Wallflower, Viola elegantula, rock garden, cohan magazine
Erysimum sp / Wallflower with Viola elegantula, Rhodiola rosea etc in the rock garden

This year, another little presumed Erysimum showed up, in a bed adjacent to the one where none survived-- it's in a good spot, where it can trail down between the stones in what is nearly a rock wall. This one does not seem to have been noticed by the flea beetles yet, knock on wood!. I dug out my old sowing lists to search for names, and combined with some online image searching—I’m not sure! The candidates are E. pulchellum and E. kotschyanum. the distinctions are fairly modest one should have slightly longer stems, there may be differences in leaf shape, but I haven’t found descriptions/photos which make me confident to make a decision based on the photos I have. Better photos, more careful reading and/or an experienced eye may tell!

Erysimum, Wallflower, rock garden, cohan magazine

Then we have another sort of garden surprise. Several years ago, I planted out a number of alpine seedlings, including some Dianthus and Silene species, several of which began flowering over the last couple of seasons and are thriving, a couple others doing less well, and/or still awaiting first flowering. Of course I don’t remember all the spots I placed various seedlings, and they don’t flower at the same time in all beds. Recently I was noticing first flowering on a Silene which started last year in some other spots--  S. maritima  or similar, with white flowers, inflated bladder calyces-- and then noticed a stray pink flower. First thought was that it was a fallen flower, darkened in senescence, but I realised it was still attached, and then I realised it was a different plant, which in fact had lots of those pink flowers in a ring around a low mound of foliage. This was a surprise, since I did not remember planting any Silenes that should flower pink. I looked around other beds to see if there were any more of these -- no sign so far, not even matching mounds of foliage that I’ve located so far (if you’d seen my gardens in person, you’d understand why I’m not making any definitive statements). So, off to the seedlists to see which Silene I’d forgotten sowing -- nothing matching found. The possibility still exists that it’s on a seedlist I didn’t look at (eg, someone I only got a few things from, and didn’t think to check for this) but my main theory at the moment is that it was a stray seed from another species that got mixed in with something else I sowed. I’ll be asking around to see if anyone knows what it is, and seeing if it makes seed, so I can plant some in better spots (it’s in kind of a low section of Semp Bed Two, surrounded by slightly taller plants, it deserves a rocky ridge where it can be seen better).

Silene species, Gypsophila repens, Creeping Baby's Breath, rock garden,  seed grown, cohan magazine
Silene species, growing with its cousins in the Carnation Family, Gypsophila and Saponaria
Silene species, Gypsophila repens, Creeping Baby's Breath, rock garden,  seed grown, cohan magazine
Mystery Silene with Gypsophila repens / Alpine or Creeping Baby's Breath
Silene species, Gypsophila repens, Creeping Baby's Breath, rock garden,  seed grown, cohan magazine
Mystery Silene-- large good pink flowers, low mound of foliage; with Gypsophila


Comments