Candy, Coffee and CeCe: Indulgence, Nostalgia and the Joy of Tangents

fruit jelly, junkfood, self indulgence, colourful candy, Cohan Magazine

After a few days at work, and a gloomy day outside hinting at rain and guaranteeing mosquitoes, I've stayed in so far. 
Someone gave me a shopping list the other day which included some dodgy treats, but I aim to please ... So after breakfast this morning (never an early thing for me on non-work days, brunch is probably a better term, and I never have lunch), I indulged in a few fruit jelly candies. The package suggested real fruit, but I think those fruits are probably called yellow, orange, red, green, purple and sugarcane... One of those things that are good if you want a sweet tooth satisfaction that won't all get eaten in the first day!

Someone (same person who gave me the shopping list: my friend doesn't use social media, but likes to suggest things that I should post) wanted me to take a picture of the candies when I dumped them from the bag into a storage container, so I did, but then I needed 2 more photos to make a set for posting on that site, where photos form nice rows of three... Coffee was an obvious choice, since I was about to make some, and have a cute new mug from the dollar store, but what for number three? Since I was sitting at the computer, I was also asked me to look up a certain '80's song, and the tangents led on from there. So how about a screen capture (okay, photo) of a video?


coffee, whipped cream, colourful mug, treat
Not my usual cuppa-- I just like  coffee with cream or coconut milk, but for a better photo...

movie, still, Priscilla Queen of the Desert, CeCe Peniston, Terence Stamp, drag queens
Screen snap of a video clip from Priscilla Queen of the Desert
I have to say  tangents are one  of my favourite things about the internet-everyone wants to monitor your interests and find more stuff you like to keep you engaged, but a few sites like YouTube and Pinterest have algorithms which are especially good (sometimes at least) at taking your searches and giving you more results you hadn't thought of, or had never heard of, but which can lead you in exciting new or nostalgic directions. So, that one 80's song led into R+B and dancey songs from the '80's and '90's to some old favourite songs that also had featured in movies. CeCe Peniston's 'Finally' had a great moment in 'Priscilla Queen of the Desert' (lots of great moments there-- maybe the best drag movie ever? all elements from script through acting were spot on, and the costumes and choreography?? drag heaven). 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebFU85eOk84


The tangents veered into Disco, never much of a reach for me, and a song by Yvonne Elliman led me to one of her great moments- 'I Don't Know How To Love Him' from Jesus Christ Superstar. The film came out when I was a kid, but I didn't see it until much later ('90's?). I'd always known this song, but didn't even realise it was from the film... I liked the film, and really should watch it again-- I remember being impressed by the desert setting, and many of the songs ( Andrew Lloyd Weber's best effort? might be, for me..).. but unimpressed by the casting for Jesus (my feelings about the Jesus story and various portrayals in paint and film could probably fill a whole post... anyone care to hear?  ;) ). This song, though, I love, and the film clip is beautiful-- desert night with an opalescent gossamer tent glowing in candle light and waving gently in the night breeze, Elliman's acting perfectly keyed to the emotional song. (her casting seems much more appropriate than the wispy white Jesus-- sure he may resemble Gothic wooden carvings, but in modern times, I'd rather have seen someone ... else).

I was even brought to tears just a little watching a clip from Sister Act--okay, that's probably just because the candy messed up my hormones, but still..

The music continued on through the Disco greats like Gloria Gaynor, Donna Summer, Thelma Houston, Cheryl Lynn (To Be Real!) et al, and back into the '80's and '90's with the likes of Evelyn Champagne King and Quincy Jones and friends-- there was even a little '90'sesque dancing in the kitchen (no, there will not be video of that..)..

Well, time to do some cooking and go look after the cats!

Comments