Silver Linings?

Petasites frigidus var palmatus
There are plusses in every situation-- this is one I expected in general, though not this specific outcome: last year the power company cleared a wooded strip on the roadside of our property (a whole subject I wont get into here, I whined a lot last year)-- this exposed an open wooded area to more sun from the east/southeast; I presumed some of the woodland species there might find that a bit too much light, but other things would be happy for it; Viburnum edule (low/high bush cranberry) for example is happy about the sun, and had great fall colour last year. One I had not expected was Petasites frigidus var palmatus/(I'm going to make my own 'common' name, since here this is a woodland plant, distinct from the wetland varieties) Woodland Sweet Coltsfoot; This is a very common plant here in mesic to wettish wooded areas and woodland edge, yet in spite of growing in generally partly to fully shaded places ( I never see it in open meadows), it flowers little, and mostly in sunnier spots! So, I was surprised to see this patch of flowers (which come before the leaves) emerging in part of this newly exposed area. There have always been lots of leaves there in season, but I have never seen it flower. You can't tell in the photos, but there are 4-6 flower stems coming up in the area I marked off with wood (to keep me from walking on them, this is beside a path I use to go into the woods for firewood etc). Photos April 29, 2017, near Condor, Alberta, Canada
Petasites frigidus var palmatus; a handful of flower stems in the marked area

Petasites frigidus var palmatus with a view of the road-- there was no view until last year!


Comments