Hillbilly Kusamono




It started with a piece of Sempervivum altum that I pulled up accidentally while weeding... Combine that with a developing interest in having some plants *intentionally* in pots, vs simply potting things while they wait for permanent garden sites, and the appeal of Kusamono https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kusamono_and_shitakusa *and* an artistic interest in reusing waste materials..... The first container I came across with the little piece of plant in hand was this old rusty bent can.. details on each photo April 29, 2016, near Condor, Alberta, Canada.

The can as I found it, with the piece of Sempervivum


First step, add drainage holes-hammer and nail.


I collected some gravel/sand/clay from a little pile where I'd emptied a bucket beside a rock bed.


The can was opened wider for planting.


I decided I needed some more plants, so I added seedlings of Draba aizoides and Sedum album (of the three, I know for a fact that the Sedum does well in small pots....)


Soil and plants are in. For the final result at top of page, I hunted through some gravel to find a few rocks I liked, rinsed them a bit and added. The can was squeezed back to a narrow opening as it had been to start with..







Comments