NightSnow

One of the things I miss about city life is the night. Not so much 'nightlife' though that was very important to me in the past, I was not going out that much for a few years before I left the city. Simply being out walking around after dark. I have always tended to be up late, and while I love the sun and daylight, I also love the dramatic and fractured light and shadow of streetlights, neon, houselights and shoplights and the way they illuminate (or not) buildings, trees, streets, water, snow, people.....
Here, when its dark out, its dark out! We have lights on the outside of the house, which are sufficient to bring in wood, see if the cat's outside, walk over to mom's house, but not much more, and really there isn't anyplace to go at night- I'm not going to stroll into the bush or off down the gravel roads in the dark.
Snow actually makes the night less dark- moonlit nights become bright enough to see some distance in the open! and house lights extend their reach much further with the great white reflector on the ground. There still isn't much reason to be out at night, but on occasions when I've stepped out for firewood or to do a little snow shovelling near the house, I've stopped to marvel at the glittering of a million diamonds on the ground and draping the trees. You'd think I'd want to take photos,  but I've been too lazy to play around with tripods and extended exposures and never used flash much- so really, once the sun goes down, my camera goes to bed! Recently, my housemate was out early shovelling and took some flash photos which were kinda cool- lighting up the snow-covered trees, so I thought I'd try my hand, and went out after dark on a snowy night..
Some of the images are quite fun, especially while its snowing, and the flash catches individual flakes- the trees seem to be floating amongst the stars! Many of the images have an intriguing flatness, more like an engraving than a photograph...
Here are a few, full album at: https://picasaweb.google.com/111492944361897930115/November272011NightSnow


many are unaltered, a number are cropped, and just a few enhanced for contrast....

Comments