A Day Off in the Bush





I'm not going to be one of those bloggers into continual full disclosure: firstly, I still believe in privacy, and secondly, I rather doubt the minutiae of my daily life would be that interesting for long (especially since I believe in privacy!).

That being said,I thought it might be slightly interesting to go through a fairly typical day off at home here.

11 a.m. thought about getting up, would have been 8 hours, but stayed in bed
11:40 a.m. actually got up!
Basic day off grooming, breakfast and coffee in front of the computer (email, mostly plant group stuff as usual),
1:30 p.m. ready to head outside
Today's big job was to do the first lawn mowing of the year. (I've decided to do another post about mowing our property-so I'll just say,it's a big job).
Not being the mechanical type, while I assumed the mower could use some sort of spring maintenance, not having been used since last August, but I wouldn't have the faintest idea what that would be or how to do it, so I just hoped it would start!
It did, eventually, after around 15 minutes of yanking on the cord, with short breaks to rest my shoulder, catch my breath, and hopefully prevent flooding of the motor..
Started on a couple of hours of mowing done, switching off with A a couple of times, and picking up things in the way ... Spent time cutting down poplar saplings with the long nippers while A was mowing..

3:45 p.m. Mowing done, and the possible afternoon rain not happening yet, I got my camera and took some photos of things flowering around the yard, then went into the bush; on the acreage first, then continued onto the farm, and checked on a few things I knew or hoped to be flowering. Found a species I was looking for, in more places than expected. Didn't get rained on.

4:15 p.m. By now I was pooped and hungry, and I knew A had cooked potatoes (as prep for the meal I'd make later), so I had some while checking email again, and doing some photo sorting and editing, then got up to take out compost, and remembered I needed to get some firewood and branches (which we use for kindling), with the forecast for the next several days cold and rainy.
I went out and broke up enough dried branches to fill a couple of buckets, and decided I should saw a bit more firewood to make sure we had enough; there were a few small poplars I had cut down last summer by my vegetable garden that were dry enough, and needing to be cut up and moved, so I got the chain saw (luckily still fueled from last time) and did just a few minutes sawing, a modest wheelbarrow full. Carried them in, and got a few other pieces from our woodpile under the trees.

Was talking to Mom, and she commented that I never would have imagined myself using lawn mowers and chain saws a few years ago--quite true! I never liked the noise or dangerous moving parts..still don't, but I grit my teeth and do it!

5:00 p.m. Went back in, A had finished baking carrot/flax/spelt muffins with a yogurt and butter icing! Yum! so I had a couple with coffee (yes, more internet time and also worked on photo editing, including some of the fancy altered stuff)
6:00 p.m. Finally got up again to get moving on dinner! Cooked chick peas soaking since the night before, and made curry with carrots, broccoli, cabbage and a big sweet onion.. clean up, take out compost, and take some food over for Mom...
8:00 p.m. Finished (barely) in time to watch CSI New York followed by halfway watching American Idol finale, while reading a novel, then switching back to the computer again..
Breaks to wash dishes and pack food into fridge, which will feed us for the next two working days... More photo editing, internet etc..just made it to bed by
2:00 a.m......
more photos in picasa albums, images from the bush:
and from the yard:

Comments