introduction





Well, I guess there will never be a perfect time to get started, there is always something else I should be doing, so I will just dive in and get at it!

In some ways its a good time to start, since one of my major objectives is to show the wildflowers and plants of my area, and the season is just beginning: I photographed the first herbaceous flowers of the year just yesterday (Petasites sp as always here), so if I'm able to keep up, maybe I can actually post the photos as they come along..........

The wildflowers are found here on the acreage, on the family farm it was carved from, walks and bike rides on the surrounding country roads, and occasional car trips to natural areas in the region or farther afield into foothills, mountains, or down south the Badlands. I'm also interested in land and skyscapes, which I photograph on the same outings as the plants, and also from the vehicle going to and from work and into town for shopping etc.

I'm also a gardener. In this climate, where the outdoor growing season is so painfully short, I find I must be occupied with indoor plants, my particular interest is in cacti and succulents and other xerophytes such as miniature bulbs. Outdoors, I am interested in many things, with alpines, drylanders (including hardy cacti and succulents), woodland plants and other natives topping the lists, and working on edible gardens as well.
All of this outdoor stuff is still in its infancy for me, having started slowly after moving back here, and having to claim/reclaim most planting areas from the bush or at least the edge of the bush! If things go as planned, I will be doing a huge amount of digging and moving rocks this year, trying to get new beds ready for the large number of seeds I've started and have yet to start!

Comments